My Surface Pro 3 tablet have upgraded to Windows 10 to version 1803. My HP wireless printer fails to connect and can not print word document. I notice that the network is changed to Public mode by system. However, it is no way to change back to Private Network in the Settings app and Connection Properties. The Homegroup feature is also missing. How can I re-configure the network and get device working, without doing a restore?
All settings are currently ported over from the Control Panel to the new Settings App. It is in process and causes something running into the issue. You could try any of the tips to get rid of that.
Fix Cannot change from Public to Private Network on Windows 10 v1803 updates
* From your desktop, hold-and-press or right-click on Start button at the left-bottom corner, and select “Windows PowerShell (Admin)” from menu.
* Type Get-NetConnectionProfile and press Enter to get the name of your current network. You need to note it down.
* Type other command below and press Enter to execute it.
Set-NetConnectionProfile -Name "put-your-network-name-here" -NetworkCategory Private
Remember to replace the text put-your-network-name-here with the real network name. The network type will be switched immediately, without restart your tablet or computer.
Another method by making changes with Registry Editor
* Press Win + R from your keyboard, type regedit in Run dialog box, and press OK button.
* Within the left pane of Registry Editor, expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder, and navigate to its sub-folder below:
and double clikc on the Profiles Key. It will list the sub-keys with different GUID.
* Click each Sub-key, and find if the sub-key has the correct ProfileName value on the right pane. When you get it, go to its right side, double click on Category, change its value data from 0 to 1, and click OK to save changes.
* Finally make a restarting to take effect.