My Windows 7 computer and Surface Pro 3 are in a workgroup environment. After I install the Windows 10 fall creators update on the tablet, I am unable to browse for available domains, servers, and resources in my network places. I notice that the Computer Browser Service is missing in the Services Manager. The Network File Sharing is already enabled and nothing happens. How can I resolve the discovery problem?
AS a network file sharing protocol, the Server Message Block (SMB) service has the vulnerabilities and is targeted by the WannaCrypt or NotPetya ransomware epidemic to propagate. For security reason the Windows 10 fall creators update has disabled the SMB1 feature. If you need to use SMB for sharing files and printers, try the method to restore and turn it on again.
How to fix Computer Browser Service Missing and not working after Windows 10 fall creators update
* Type Control Panel in Start menu from your desktop, and open it from mathed result.
* Navigate to the Programs & Features > Turn Windows features on or off.
* Locate the “SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support”, check the checkbox associated with it and press OK button. Then restart the system to take effect.
If the Computer Browser Service is still not working
* Open the Settings app, go to Network & Internet > Status, click the SHARING options, and turn the DOMAIN profile on.
* Press Win + R from your keyboard, type services.msc and press Enter to open the Services Manager.
* On the right side pane, right click on DNS Client Service from list, select the Properties, and check that tit is running. If not, click Start option, set its startup menu to Automatic, and click Apply > OK button.
* Repeat the same way with the Function Discovery Resource Publication Service and SSD Discovery Service.
* If you have enabled the Firewall, make sure it allows network discovery.