My Surface Pro tablet has upgraded to the latest version of Windows 10 Pro. The system install a strange driver and enable Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter along with my wifi card. I uninstall it from device manager and then it appears without any permission. I am not sure if kill the driver/service will cause something wrong with my external wifi adapter. How to delete the Virtual Adapter completely to get rid of that?
With the Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter, you can make two Wi-Fi
direct devices to pair using Windows Pairing experience user
interface. It is different with Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter which is used to create portable hotspot. Running netsh command doesn’t fix the issue and you could try any of the tips.
How to permanently Remove or Disable Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter in Windows 10
* From your desktop, tap or click on the Windows button at the left-bottom corner.
* Open the Settings app from Start menu.
* Click on the System category, and select the “Projecting to this PC” tab in the left side. You can also type Projecting to this PC in the search box at top to get it.
* Go to tis right side pane, under the “Windows PCs and phones can project to this PC when you say it’s OK” heading, click on its drop-down menu and select “Always Off” option.
If your Windows 10 comes with Group Policy, go to create a GPO to run a PowerShell script on computer startup.
* Press Win + R from your keyboard, input gpedit.msc into Run dialog box and click OK button
* Navigate to the location in the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor:
Computer Configuration > Policies
> Windows Settings > Scripts
* Double-click on the Startup option at the right pane, go to PowerShell script tab, click on “Show file…” to open the location in File Explorer.
* From there, create a new PowerShell script with the 1 liner code below:
Get-NetAdapter -InterfaceDescription "Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual*" | Disable-NetAdapter -Confirm:$false
Save it and add the file as the startup PowerShell script, then click Apply > OK.