The pagefile.sys is virtual memory file located in the root of your system drive on your hard drive or SSD. The pagefile is used to fit all the running apps and system demands once the physical memory (RAM) is not enough. Here are some useful tips to get the better performance or security in Windows 10 tablet or computer.
The pagefile.sys file contains some sensitive data. Somebody might access it through dual-boot system and recover data to get it. For increased security, you’d better set it up to clear the page file every time you shut down.
How to clear/remove the pagefile at shutdown in Windows 10
* Press Win + R from your keyboard, type regedit, and click OK button to open the Registry Editor.
* Navigate to the location below:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
* Click/tap on the Memory Management folder, and go to its right side pane.
* Double click on the DWORD value ClearPageFileAtShutdown, change its value data from 0 to 1, and click OK button. You can modify it, no matter the Windows 10 is 32 bit or 64-bit version.
If Windows 10 partition is on an SSD, you could move the page file to another physical drive to improve system performance.
* Type SystemPropertiesAdvanced into Cortana search box or Start menu, and press Enter to open System properties.
* Under the Performance heading, click on the Settings… button.
* Go to the Advanced tab, in the Virtual Memory area, click on the Change button.
* Uncheck the “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives”.
* Check “No paging file”, click the Set button, select another drive, and use the Recommended size for that.