The Task Manager is not working at all after installed the recent Windows 10 Update on my Surface Pro 4. I press the control+alt+delete keys, or run it from the Start menu, the Task Manager is not opening and its icon appear on the task bar. Now I am unable to close the the programs which are no longer responding, or analyze the disk/network/memory usage on my tablet.
How to fix Cannot Open Task Manager problem In Windows 10/8
* For security reason, the third-party antivirus software might block and disable the Task Manager for normal users. You cloud uninstall such programs, then make a rebooting to open the Task Manager again.
If you get the warning “Task Manager has been disabled by your Administrator” message, login as administrator account to reset the Registry Editor.
* Press Win + R from your keyboard, type regedit into Run dialog box, and click OK button to open the Registry Editor.
* In the left side, navigate to the tree below:
* Go to the right side pane, double click on the a registry key DisableTaskMgr, change its value data from 1 to 0, and click OK button to save changes.
By File Explorer
* Open the C:\Windows\system32 in File Explorer. This is the location of Task Manager executable file.
* Hold-and-press or double click on the taskmgr.exe file to open Task Manager.
If the system file is corruption or dominate Task Manager, try the System File Checker scan and DISM inbox corruption repair tools.
* Type command prompt in Start menu, right click on the Command Prompt from result, and select “Run as administrator)”.
* Enter the commands below in the Administrator Command Prompt:
sfc /scannow DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
You need to press Enter key after each command. Once it is finished, check if the issue is fixed. If not, go to do a PC reset.
* Open the Settings app, go to Update & Security.
* Select the Recovery tab in the left side.
* Click on Get started button under Reset this PC heading, and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.