I had used Edge and Google Chrome browsers in Windows 10 Pro on my Surface Pro 4 without any problem. However, after upgrade to Creators update on my tablet, the latest version of Chrome just hangs on opening and stuck at there. I try to uninstall and re-install the software and nothing happens. The related files are not corrupt. How can I resolve the problem?
If Google Chrome gets any performance issues in Windows 10, such as lagging mouse move and keyboard input, tabs not loading and scrolling glitches, hardware acceleration feature built into the web browser could be to blame. The Creators update might turn on the related option and make the Chrome not working at all. GPU hardware acceleration can pass most of the mathematical calculations and heavy duty graphics processing tasks within the browser, such as 3D rendering, and let the GPU to handle and perform these tasks.
How to fix Chrome browser not opening/working in Windows 10 Creators update
First you need to boot in Safe Mode
* Tap or click on the Start button, open the Settings app, and navigate to the Update & Security > Recovery.
* Click on Restart now button under Advanced startup,
* Windows 10 will resart and boot to Choose an option screen. Click on Troubleshoot, go to Advanced options > Startup Settings, and click Restart
* When you are on Startup Settings screen, Press the 5 key to enter Safe Mode with Networking.
Then turning off hardware acceleration completely
* Open the Chrome, tap or click the three horizontal lines icon at the top-right corner, and choose Settings. You can also type
chrome://settings in address bar and press Enter to access that.
* Scroll down to the bottom and click on “Show advanced settings…” link.
* In those Further options, scroll to the “System” heading, uncheck the “Use hardware acceleration when available” box.
* Click on the Restart option in Requires Chrome restart dialog box.
* Finally restart the PC and boot to normal mode.