When I ran the Office Outlook Desktop software on my Surface Pro 3 running the Windows 10 Pro, the app crashed with the error “Outlook Could Not Create The Work File. Check The Temp Environment Variable.” That also happened with word 2013 app. It seemed that something was preventing two programs from working and I could not fingure out how to resolve the problem.
Once the existing user account has the inaccessible pre-defined location for Windows File Explorer and Office apps to save temporary Internet Files, it will pop up the temp environment variable warning message and the Office app can not be opened.
How to fix Word or Outlook Could Not Create The Work File. Check The Temp Environment Variable in Windows 10
* Press Win + R from your keyboard, type regedit and click OK button.
* Within the left side pane of Registry Editor, navigate to the location below:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
* Select the User Shell Folders registry key, and go to its right pane.
* You should see a registry string Cache (REG_EXPAND_SZ) . Double-click on this string to change its incorrect data.
* In the Edit String, type the correct Value data into the value data box, depend on your running operating system.
For Windows 10 and 8.1:
For Windows 8:
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files
* Finally cliik OK button to save the changes and close others. Then go ot check if it is working.