I was able to create a network map in the “Network & Sharing Center” of Windows 7. However, after my computer upgraded to Windows 10, I could not find the same feature and it is missing. Is there any way to get back the extremely valuable tool to use the shortcut?
Displaying a map of the network is available in Windows 7 and the function is in the “Network & Sharing Center”. However, it has been removed in Windows 8 and 8.1, and is still missing in the Control Panel of Windows 10. You could resolve the problem through the FIle Explorer or other 3rd party apps.
How to Map a Shared Network Folder as a Network Drive in Windwos 10/8.1
* Open File Explorer, go to This PC, expand the Computer tab on the ribbon, and click or tap “Map network drive”.
* Within the wizard, select the letter you want to assign to the driver, input the network path that must be start with “\\”. Or you can click Browse button to select the folder, and press OK.
* If the shared network folder requires the permissions to access it, check the “Connect using different credentials” box, enter the user account and password.
* Finally click Finish button to complete the drive mapping and it will display in the “This PC” section of File Explorer.
How to Map the Address of a Website or FTP server as a Network Location in Windows 10
* First start File Explorer, go to This PC, under the Computer tab, click “Add a network location” on the ribbon.
* In The “Add Network Location” wizard, click Next > Choose a custom network location > Next.
* Type http:// or https:// followed by the web server, or type ftp:// followed by the IP address of the FTP site.
* Press Next button and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.