The Surface Book doubles as a tablet with the press of a button, so it can convert as a fully powerful laptop by detaching the screen from keyboard. However, the detach button could not react well when I did that. The battery status said “Battery 1 not available.” and the software detach option displayed the Surface Detach: Detached error message.
Making a factory reset then applying all available and necessary updates didn’t take any effects. The system showed off “Latch failed to open” with red mark and the screen always showed blackout. If you are unable to detach your Surface Book from the keyboard or experiencing the similar problem, try any of the solutions below to get it working.
How to Fix Surface Book keyboard detach button not working problem
Performing the shutdown process through two buttons
* First shut down or power off your Surface Book to turn it off.
* Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for about 15 seconds. When the Surface logo appears on the screen, release both buttons and wait for 10 seconds. You should notice that the keyboard detach light blinkes a bit and the device power on and off quickly.
* Then press the power button again to turn on your device.
Another method by BIOS
* After you shut down the device completely, press the power button to turn it on, and hold the Volume Up button to boot into the BIOS.
* Without making any changes, tap the Exit button and it will promptes that changes will be saved, and restart the computer.
Finally go to detach your Surface Book from the keyboard to check if it is fine. If it is a physical/hardware problem, you’d better exchange it.