I was unable to conntect to the internet over WiFi on my Surface pro 3 tablet running Windows 8.1 64-bit, even try manually connecting using the ethernet cable. But other wireless devices like laptops and iPhones work well. After I performed the built-in Troubleshooter and then the Network Adapter of All Categories option, the result showed the message “The Diagnostics Policy Service is not running, click to run as an administrator. error 5″ and it failed to fix the problem.
If you also face the issue of losing signal strength with error “The Diagnostics Policy Service is not running” in Windows 8.1/8 or 7 OS, try the following methods to resolve it:
* A workaround is to reboot the system every 1 or 2 hours.
* If you have installed any firewall or anti-virus software, turn it off to check if the network is working.
* The respective solution
Make sure your account does have administrator privileges.
1. From start screen, swipe up or click the arrow icon at the bottom to open the Apps screen. And scroll to the the Windows System heading.
2. Press and hold or Right-click on Command Prompt icon, select Run as administrator from the menu. Click on Yes button if UAC promptes.
3. Type two commands one by one and execute them:
net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice
Press enter from your keyboard. When you see text The command completed successfully, go to type:
net localgroup Administrators /add localservice
Now press enter and restart your device to apply all changes.
If it says “access denied”, it means that you don’t open an elevated command prompt.