To secure and protect your tablet or computer, you can customize the password policy in Windows 8.1, like setup a password to contain lower and upper case letters and also be minimum eight characters long. If you need to reduce the password length for local user accounts, try the following tips.
How to Restrict Password Length For Windows 8.1 User Accounts
First make sure you are login as administrators.
By the Local Security Policy
* From Start screen, type Local Security Policy to search and open it from the results.
You can also press Win + R from your keyboard, input secpol.msc and click OK button to open the LSP console.
* From the left-side pane, navigate to the key below:
Security Settings > Account Policies > Password Policy
* Go to the right pane, Double-click on the “Minimum password length” policy and modify the least number of characters for the user account must have.
You can change the value from 1 to 14 for restricting the Length, as well as type the number of characters to 0 for establishing that no password. Finally click Apply > OK.
Through the Elevated Command Prompt
* Swipe in from the right corner to open Charm bar from Start screen, type CMD to search, right click it from the results and select “Run as administrator“.
* Run the command to setup the minimum number of characters a password should have:
net accounts /minpwlen: length
Note: the above length means the number with the Range from 0 to 14. For example, I would like to restrict the length to be 8, type the command and press enter:
net accounts /minpwlen:8