Many users are getting the same problem while trying to install Windows 8.1 or Server 2012 R2 in Oracle VirtualBox or VMware Workstation. The virtualization software displays the following unexpected error message flashing on a black screen:
“Your PC needs to restart.
Please hold down the power button.
Error code: 0x000000C4
I have removed out SSD and reconnected it but nothing works. After searching the internet for minutes, I find out a working solution to solve the “Your PC needs to restart. Error code: 0x000000C4” issues from VirtualBox forum.
The Windows 8.1 64-bit requires CPU with CMPXCHG16b, PrefetchW and LAHF/SAHF support, so you have to enable Hardwre VVirtualization support feature to run the installtion.
* From your desktop, press Win + X keys together from keyboard, or right-click on bottom-left corner of screen.
* Then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from menu.
* In Command Prompt window, Enter the command below and press Enter to see your Virtual Machine Name.
“c:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe” list vms
* Type the following command
"%programfiles%\oracle\virtualbox\vboxmanage.exe" setextradata "your-own-Virtual-Machine-Name" VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B 1
Replace “your-own-Virtual-Machine-Name” text with the correct name, and press Enter.
* Now start the VM software to check if it is working.