Windows 8 Professional or Enterprise edition supports joining a domain, And Windows RT can’t do that. Many smaller businesses need to connect PCs to company domains first.
* Your Surface tablet must connect to a domain controller and need an Active Directory computer account.
* Use a local Administrator account to login to Windows 8 system.
How to connect Surface Pro Windows 8 to a Domain instantly
* Open the File Explorer, click on the Computer icon in the left-hand panel of the screen, and then “Properties” button in the Ribbon at top. You can also access Control Panel > System and Security > System.
* Click “Change settings” under “Computer, domain, and workgroup setting”.
* Click “Change” button under Computer Name tab, check “Domain:” and type the name of your domain in the text field. If not working, enter the fully qualified domain name like your-domain.Local or disable the Firewall temporarily.Click OK button, restart your tablet and select Other user to enter your domain credentials.
Problems Connecting Windows 8 to a Domain
Make sure your computer name is full Name. If not like just Win8, click on ‘More..’ and append the full dns name, like Win8.yourDomain.local