I login to windows 8 Pro as administrator on my computer. When i attempt to do a refresh the system settings because of app crashes and go into recovery mode, Windows says that my hard drive is locked and I need to unlock it, and “Windows cannot be installed on GPT drive, only on MBR” error. But I haven’t setup bit-locker encryption. Now all apps and tiles are missing. How can I fix the locked Hard drive issues?
* Re-format your hard drive and do a “clean-install” Windows 8 OS.
* Another method. Insert the Windows 8 disc, Boot into “Repair your computer” and select Troubleshoot > advanced options. Go into the MS-DOS mode by choosing Command Prompt, type the command to run:
BCDboot c:/windows /s c: /l en-us (have fixed the wrong command)
BCDboot c:\windows /s c: /l en-us
That should fix the issues and works for me.
If you do the bootrec command and get the error like Bootmgr is missing ,“The system couldn’t find the specified path” or ACCESS DENIED, one way is to rebuild or repair Master Boot Record (MBR) in Windows 10/8.
* You need to create the Recovery USB drive and plug in your tablet or computer.
* Start the system and keep Pressing F8 key into the Windows Recovery Menu.
* Click on Troubleshoot > Advanced options, and select Command Prompt.
* use the Bootrec.exe tool to fix the bootrec issues. Type the command one and press Enter after the other.
* Then reboot your device to check if it is fine.